May 30, 2019 | Tyler Harlton
Split Pea Hummus
Yields 2 cups
- 2/3 cup dried split peas
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 garlic cloves
- juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt plus more to taste
- 1/4 cup good quality olive oil
- Chopped veggies and nachos for serving
- Combine the split peas and broth in a medium saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, stir, then reduce heat and cover. Simmer until the split peas are very tender (almost mushy) and most of the liquid is absorbed, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked split peas to a food processor. Add in the tahini, garlic, lemon juice and zest, cumin, and salt. Pulse until very smooth - you may need to scrape down the sides occasionally.
- With the food processor running, stream in the olive oil until just combined. Taste for seasoning, adding more salt if necessary. Serve with crackers, veggies or nachos for dipping.